For all of my ladies who don’t cook, don’t worry- everyone can whip up this easy quesadilla. Being a mom has taught me that I have to make quick meals and use my time wisely. These quesadillas are healthy and delicious for dinner or you can slice into small bites and serve as appetizers for a party or game day!
Healthy Chicken Quesadillas with Black Rice:
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
– 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
– 1 onion
– 1 green pepper
– 1 red pepper
– 1 yellow pepper
– salt & pepper
– dozen flour tortillas (wheat or spinach work great too)
– 2 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
– salsa for serving
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium high skillet and cook chicken until done, about 4 mins on each side.
3. Remove and cut into cubes
1. Dice onions and peppers and cook in a medium high skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender. Set aside
1. Butter one side of tortilla and place in skillet, stack chicken, veggies, and cheese and place other buttered tortilla on top.
2. Cook until each side is golden brown and cheese is melted.
**Cheat Step for Chicken:
If you do not want to cook the chicken, you can buy a pre cooked fresh rotisserie chicken from the grocery and pull apart for quesadilla.
Black Rice Side Dish:
Black Rice is a great healthy side dish because it is rich in antioxidants, iron, and vitamin E. It’s also easy to make and makes a great presentation because of its deep purple color! Think of it as a superfood that you’ll actually enjoy eating!
– 2 Tablespoons butter
– 1 cup black rice
– 1/4 cup diced onion
– 1 3/4 cup water
– 1 chicken bouillon cube
-Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
– Add black rice, and onion. Cook and stir until lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
– Add water and bouillon cube; bring to a boil.
– Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.