I don’t know how the rest of the country is temp wise, but it’s hot as hell and humid in Nashville. My job description on set has become more of a glorified sweat wiper than a makeup artist. To make my life a little easier, I do try and sweat proof each makeup/hair look, prior to shooting, as much as possible. Here are some of my tricks to summer proof your beauty routine!
- It’s important to start from the ground up and prep skin appropriately for the heat. I found this idea via BeautyBanter.com: Sunscreen is obviously a must everyday, but finding one with sheer-yet-matte coverage that doesn’t make us breakout can feel like unicorn hunting. Luckily, SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense ($34) achieves all that and more. Yes please.
- I also highly recommend a primer to summer proof. I have been really liking MakeUp Forever’s Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer because they have different types based on your skin type. Mattifying is always good for hot weather.
- I like to set my makeup looks with translucent powder for hold and to eliminate shine. My favorite is Laura Mercier Translucent setting powder, which gives skin a milky complexion.
- Setting spray is a huge help to holding your makeup in place all night. I bounce around with the setting sprays that I use, but lately have been going with an oldie, but goodie, Fix Plus by MAC. I like this because it falls into skin naturally, gives skin a healthy glow that’s not too matte and holds makeup in place.
- Once you do set the face with powder and setting spray, I prefer to use blotting sheets for the remainder of the night instead of replying powder over and over, which will leave makeup looking cakey. I use these green tea blotting papers by Boscia because they remove oil and shine, without disturbing the makeup.
- Another one from Beauty Banter for the lips: Lipstick can be tricky in the summer months. You want a pop of color to contrast your new tan, but the idea of anything too sticky or glossy can leave you rethinking the look. L’Oréal Paris Infallible Paints Lipcolor ($10) is smudge-proof and waterproof, and will stay on your lips through any temperature or summer debauchery.
- For hair, summer obviously says beach waves. Bumble and Bumble just updated their line of surf sprays to have a sheen in them for shine and frizz control for summer.
- If all else fails or you just want to make it easy, I’m obsessed with these kits by Pinch Provisions. It’s pretty much all you need to stay cool this summer, sunscreen, a mini fan, deodorant towelettes, dry shampoo, etc. They also make travel kits, hangover kits and more. Great for you or as a cute gift idea!
Click pics to shop!